The latest rugby news from around the world
These are your latest rugby headlines on Wednesday, February 18.
Six Nations protest threat emerges
English rugby bosses are monitoring the possibility of protests being held against sponsor Allianz at this weekend’s Six Nations clash between England and Ireland at Twickenham.
The insurance giant began a 10-year deal with the Rugby Football Union for the naming rights to Twickenham in 2024, while it also has partnerships with the Olympics and Paralympics as well as Bayern Munich football team.
Allianz also sponsors the Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA), a partnership that has sparked backlash in Ireland due to the firm’s alleged links to military companies which trade with Israel. Several Irish county boards have called for the GAA to cut ties with the German company amid the allegations.
Ensure our latest sport headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as Preferred Source in your Google search settings
Now, with Ireland visiting Twickenham for the first time since the Allianz naming deal took effect, the prospect of protests being held at the game has emerged, with City AM reporting that the RFU will “closely monitor events” in the days leading up to Saturday’s clash.
The publication also reports that the union has “procedures in place” if any unrest were to occur prior to, during or after the match.
It comes after England’s Six Nations clash with Italy last year saw a drone lowered into the stadium by Palestine Action.
The 2023 Prem Rugby final was also disturbed by protestors from Just Stop Oil, who ran on to the field of play at Twickenham and threw orange powder across the pitch.
Scotland coach confirms triple blow
By Anthony Brown, Press Association
Pete Horne revealed that Jamie Ritchie, Jamie Dobie and Jack Dempsey are unlikely to play any further part in Scotland’s Guinness Six Nations campaign after leaving the squad due to injuries ahead of Saturday’s clash with Wales in Cardiff.
The key trio started Saturday’s 31-20 Calcutta Cup triumph over England at Murrayfield but were all forced off before the end.
Perpignan flanker Ritchie suffered a knee injury, Glasgow number eight Dempsey went off with a bicep issue and Glasgow back Dobie sustained shoulder damage.
After the three players returned to their clubs to be assessed, assistant coach Horne – speaking from Scotland’s warm-weather training camp at Oliva Nova, near Valencia – said on Tuesday it is likely that their involvement in this year’s championship is over.
“It’s looking that way, which is unfortunate,” he said. “If there is an outside chance of them getting back involved, then great, they’ll link back up with us in the last week or so, but I can’t see it, to be honest.
“It’s a brutal game, Test match rugby. It’s so physical now, the collisions, the size of these boys, the physicality that’s involved. I think Demo (Dempsey) actually summed it up really well in the first week.
“He was talking about how everyone around the table has got to be ready to go at a moment’s notice because there’s going to be injuries, and it’s Sod’s Law that (he) was one of them. It’s devastating to lose them, three guys in top form. They were outstanding at the weekend and have been a big part of the group, both on and off the field.”
Scotland are unlikely to call up any new faces to fill the gaps left by Dempsey, Ritchie and Dobie.
“No, we’re fairly happy with the group that we’ve got,” he said. “Thankfully, we have got a little bit more depth in the squad now than some of the years gone by.”
The absence of versatile back Dobie, who started the first two matches at wing, presents a possible opportunity for Blair Kinghorn to return to the fray in Cardiff. The British and Irish Lions star was a surprise omission from the 23 for the games against Italy and England, and returned to France at the weekend to play for Toulouse in their Top 14 victory over Stade Francais.
“Blair arrived back with the squad yesterday, so he trained today with us,” said Horne. “Blair’s a supremely talented player. The competition’s obviously been really high in that (back-three) area. The three guys that have played (Dobie, Kyle Steyn and Tom Jordan), they got the opportunity against Italy and we felt like they went well in that game.
“Against England they obviously performed really well again. There will be an opportunity for someone with Jamie dropping out so there will be a bit of a shuffle in the back three somewhere.
“We’ll just assess how training goes tomorrow and make a call. But Blair’s in good spirits, he’s trained really well the last couple of weeks. He knows that if it is him that gets the nod this week, he’s got to be ready to go and perform.”
Get the latest Wales Rugby merch at Fanatics

The Six Nations is running from February 5 to March 14 and Wales Rugby fans can get the latest jerseys, hoodies and more at Fanatics.
Osborne: We’re building something good
By Edward Elliot, Press Association
Ireland full-back Jamie Osborne is relishing the prospect of getting “stuck into” England as the two sides battle to remain in the hunt for Guinness Six Nations glory.
The 24-year-old claimed the opening try in Saturday’s tense 20-13 success over Italy to help Andy Farrell’s team bounce back from a heavy round-one defeat away to reigning champions France.
England were tipped to be the greatest threat to Les Bleus’ hopes of retaining the championship title before suffering a Calcutta Cup upset at the hands of Scotland following a routine win over Wales.
Osborne, who is deputising for the injured Hugo Keenan in the number 15 jersey, is in line to make his third successive Test start on Saturday at Twickenham after returning from a three-month absence due to a shoulder issue.
“It’s hugely exciting – I think any sport, Ireland versus England is a proper game,” he said. “England at Twickenham, you’ve seen how good they’ve been recently at home.
“They’re a team with very high confidence and we’re probably a team that is starting to build now, so we’re coming into it a little bit differently. But I can’t wait to get stuck into them if I am selected. I think we’re building something good here.”
England had won 12 consecutive matches since losing 27-22 in Dublin on the opening weekend of last year’s Six Nations before coming unstuck in a 31-20 defeat at Murrayfield.
Steve Borthwick’s side, who travel to unbeaten title favourites France in round five, remain on a nine-game winning run at home.
Osborne believes Ireland can take encouragement from their narrow victory over Italy after head coach Farrell accused his players of lacking intent during the tournament opener in Paris.
“Andy alluded to the intent factor last week and how it wasn’t really there, and it wasn’t perfect (against Italy),” said Osborne, who injured his shoulder in Ireland’s November win over Japan before making his comeback at Stade de France.
“But I think we brought a lot more intent. We had some very nice passages of play and it might have been a wide breakdown or the last pass that we’d come undone by.
“I thought it was a lot more positive anyway. There’s a lot to work on but I think we can be pleased with the intent part of the game.”
