Posted in

Manny Pacquiao’s return to the ring set for Apr. 18

Manny Pacquiao’s return to the ring set for Apr. 18

Manny Pacquiao follows his stunning performance against Mario Barrios last year with an eagerly-awaited return to the ring on Apr. 18 as he confirmed Tuesday he’ll fight Ruslan Provodnikov in an exhibition at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.

“I carry the Philippines with me every time I fight,” Pacquiao said in a statement sent to Boxing Social. “The support from my country and from fans around the world continues to inspire me.”

Few outside of Pacquiao’s raucous fanbase expected him to box as extraordinarily as he managed in his challenge of Mario Barrios for the WBC welterweight championship title last year. Had he beaten Barrios, the veteran fighter would have extended his own record as the oldest athlete to win a belt in the 147-pound division.

But, despite a near 17-year age gap, Pacquiao appeared the stronger, faster, and more forceful fighter in the first half of the bout, before a gradual rally from Barrios was deemed enough by the judges to reward both with the draw.

That fight was at the MGM Grand Garden Arena and Pacquiao boxes once again, albeit in an exhibition rather than a pro bout, in the Fight Capital of the World.

“Returning to Las Vegas means so much … I’m excited to work with a team focused on creating a world-class experience for the fans. I’m coming back to give them a great fight and I’m ready.”

According to Sports Illustrated reporter and DAZN commentator Chris Mannix, “investors in this fight have been hunting for a Pacquiao opponent for months” and settled on Provodnikov, “who has not fought since 2016,” after rejections from familiar foes “Juan Manuel Marquez, Tim Bradley.

The Pacquiao vs Provodnikov event is, per the statement sent to Boxing Social, presented by Indistry Media and Banner Promotions.

Errol Angara, the COO of Indistry, said the event “signals our formal entry into the fight world and the direction we are headed as a company.”

Arthur Pelullo, the president of Banner Promotions, added: “Manny and Ruslan should have faced each other earlier in their careers, and it’s a shame it didn’t happen sooner, but at least we are getting it now.”

“Both Manny and Ruslan are among the most exciting, fan-friendly and TV friendly fighters of their generation. Manny and Ruslan never back down and never give an inch.”

He continued: “Manny showed in his last fight with Barrios that, despite his age, he is still a world-class fighter. Personally, I thought he won the fight and should be the champion.

“As far as Ruslan is concerned, Ruslan has always wanted to get either Pacquiao or Mayweather in the ring and now the opportunity is here. I am confident that Ruslan will steal the show and rise to the occasion.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *