Posted in

‘Smacks of England’, Australia Blasted As Internal Review Awaits Following T20 World Cup Exit

‘Smacks of England’, Australia Blasted As Internal Review Awaits Following T20 World Cup Exit

Australia’s exit from the T20 World Cup has prompted an internal review after the 2021 champions failed to progress beyond the group stage for the first time in a men’s World Cup since 2009.

Defeats to Zimbabwe and co hosts Sri Lanka ended hopes of reaching the Super Eights, rendering the final group match against Oman irrelevant to qualification. National selector Tony Dodemaide described the campaign as disappointing and confirmed a comprehensive assessment would follow.

“It’s really disappointing the way the tournament has rolled out,” Dodemaide told reporters on Wednesday.

“But we will need some time, and take some time, once we finish our last commitment – it’s important that we finish strongly on Friday against Oman – then we’ll get back and analyse it fully.”

Preparation had raised concerns after a series whitewash against Pakistan, yet selectors retained faith in a middle order short of form. Conditions in Sri Lanka exposed technical limitations, with power based selections struggling on slower surfaces.

“It’s been a really poor campaign, it has to be said,” former Australian captain Ricky Ponting told The ICC Review.

“They had some injury concerns at the start with (Josh) Hazlewood and (Pat) Cummins being ruled out and then Tim David not available right at the start as well.

“But I think just losing to Zimbabwe like they did, that’s going to be the game that they’re going to think back and think like that’s our World Cup gone, there and then.”

On BBC Test Match Special, Matthew Hayden questioned the planning and selection approach.

“The reaction back home has been rather heavy because I think we’ve been sold down the stream a little bit in terms of our selection and how we’ve gone about preparing for this T20 World Cup,” Hayden said.

“It sort of smacks of England, and their questions in the Ashes preparation – this kind of self-fulfilling prophecy of ‘we’re OK’ and ‘no, don’t worry’. It’s a mix of denial and maybe even just mismanagement.

“We enjoy coming to countries like Sri Lanka but we just haven’t prepared for what we’ve seen. We’ve picked power hitters in finesse type conditions.

“(It’s) almost like stubbornness but there is a plan A. And that plan A is called power. And it’s a day and age of power. In India, that’s certainly the case.

“These conditions, though, are different. They’re not such pure batting surfaces, and that requires methodology. It almost requires a bit more of an old-school approach and way of thinking about the game that allows you to stay in the contest.”

Steve Smith was omitted from the preliminary squad and the preceding tour of Pakistan. When Hazlewood withdrew through injury, selectors chose not to name a replacement in the 15 man squad. That stance shifted after captain Mitchell Marsh sustained a testicular injury before the opening fixture against Ireland, prompting a late call up for Smith.

He did not arrive in time for the defeat to Zimbabwe, where Australia collapsed to 4/29 and lost by 23 runs. Dodemaide maintained Smith had been viewed strictly as opening cover.

“We see him primarily as at the top and that’s where he’s come into the squad as cover for that area,” Dodemaide said of Smith.

“He was only really available for game three, which was the game that we had our best performed pairing, which is (Marsh) and Head, who did extremely well.

“If we got more moving parts and we had to think of things differently, then that’s a different story, but certainly now Steve still retains his place as cover for that opening position.”

Matthew Renshaw, Australia’s leading run scorer in the tournament, was omitted for the must win fixture against Sri Lanka despite top scoring in the Zimbabwe loss. Cameron Green retained his place at number three and was dismissed for three from seven balls as Australia slipped to a collapse of 9/71.

“Green has just looked awful with the bat,” Hayden continued.

“He looks woody, he looks tinny, he looks like he’s just a man with no confidence, and I’d be very surprised if that’s not exactly the case.

“Matt Renshaw has come with no baggage to this tournament. He actually had a really good series back home in Australia in the ODIs. He’s been a man that’s been very ill treated – there’s no doubt he should be in the Test team too.”

Dodemaide defended Green, citing recent output and physical management.

“His record has been very, very good for us in 2025, and pre-tournament in Pakistan (where) he was our best batter,” Dodemaide said.

“Cam’s still developing his game across all formats and that needs to be balanced with what he can do physically.

“He’s a very fine player who is important for us in all formats, but in terms of nuancing his commitments from time-to-time we’ll look at that in more depth as part of the wider review.”

Ponting argued the current top order lacks the presence of previous eras.

“You look at that Australian team on paper, it just doesn’t look to have that sort of aura around it that a lot of other Australian teams have going into ICC events and World Cups,” he said.

“You need to have your best players and your most experienced players standing up and winning big moments for you in these tournaments if you want to go ahead and win and Australia haven’t had that.

“They probably haven’t got enough out of their top order batting with Cameron Green at No. 3, and then Tim David coming in at No. 4 for the last couple of games. Those two haven’t fired and Australia have lost early wickets, certainly in the game against Zimbabwe.”

Injuries to Hazlewood and Cummins weakened the bowling attack. Australia took four wickets across 38 overs against Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka, with second string options unable to impose themselves. Both quicks are expected to feature in the upcoming Indian Premier League.

“Those injury concerns are something that do arise and can arise quite late,” Dodemaide said.

“When you do get injury concerns that compromise your squad, like as a result of series in the meantime, whether it’s the Ashes, whether it’s BBL, then that does present some challenges.”

“It is what it is,” he said.

“It’s a timing issue. If it was in reverse, the IPL was first and the World Cup was second, then they’d be missing the IPL to play in the World Cup.

“It’s not going to be frustrating for us at all. We know their commitment to want to play and succeed for Australia.”

Australia will co host the 2028 T20 World Cup with New Zealand. Planning will include the 2027 50 over World Cup before attention turns to the next home campaign.

“We want to win every World Cup, no matter where it is,” Dodemaide said.

“Clearly, the next one is at home. We’d love to do well at home.

“We’ve got a commitment within 48 hours or so against Oman and we want to finish off really well.

“We will do the requisite planning to look at 2028; we’ve got the 2027 50-over World Cup in the meantime. All these things will be mapped out when we get time and space, and we can cut out the emotion of it and look at it more forensically.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *