Conor Benn has spoken out following his split from Matchroom and Eddie Hearn in favor of Dana White and Zuffa Boxing.
Benn stunned the boxing world when he inked a deal with Hearn’s new competitor. He had been under Hearn’s promotion for a decade. Dan Rafael later reported that Benn is signed to Zuffa Boxing for one fight and the deal is worth $15 million.
The stunning move led some to question Benn’s loyalty, but others don’t believe loyalty is owed in the sport of boxing. Amid the highly debated decision, Benn told Boxing King Media that the offer from Zuffa Boxing simply couldn’t be topped (via Boxing Scene).
“It wasn’t an easy decision,” he told Boxing King Media. “It was a decision that weighed heavy on me. But it was the best decision for me and my family, and ultimately an offer I couldn’t turn down.
“I’m doing this for my family. It’s an offer that you’d be mentally ill to turn down. I’m blessed to be in the position I’m in. I’m happy to be in the position I’m in. My career’s again taken another turn; a direction I didn’t think it would. But I want to maintain my relationship with Matchroom, specifically Eddie Hearn; Frank Smith.
Benn said that he ultimately made the move that he felt was best for his family. He also said that a decade from now, no one will care about his well being. Benn also expressed his belief that promoters view him as “hot property.” He then insisted that he was loyal to Hearn, but family rules all.
“Everything they’ve done for me, I’ll forever be grateful, but not over my blood family,” Benn said.
Chris Mannix reported that the plan is for Benn’s next fight to take place no later than May 31. Who Benn will be matched up against remains to be seen, but it’s a big splash for Zuffa Boxing amid White’s back-and-forth verbal exchanges with Hearn.
Do you think Conor Benn made the right decision? Sound off in the comments below.
