Posted in

Louis Rees-Zammit hurt in training ground incident and Welsh side announce loan deal

Louis Rees-Zammit hurt in training ground incident and Welsh side announce loan deal

These are your latest rugby headlines on Friday, April 17.

Rees-Zammit in new injury blow

Wales and Bristol Bears star Louis Rees-Zammit has suffered a new setback after picking up an injury in training.

The 25-year-old sprained his knee during a training session ahead of Bristol’s must-win PREM Rugby clash with Gloucester on Friday night and will “return to action in the coming weeks” according to an official medical bulletin from the club.

Rees-Zammit is joined on the sidelines by back rower Steven Luatua, who is out of action until May with a hamstring injury, and Santiago Grondona, who will return to play at the end of the month after suffering a minor calf injury.

JOIN OUR WALES RUGBY FACEBOOK PAGE Latest news, analysis and much more

The Wales full-back has enjoyed a fine debut campaign for Pat Lam’s side after returning from the NFL last summer, but is has not been without setbacks.

After picking up a toe injury against Saracens in October, Rees-Zammit was out of action for over a month before returning in time for Wales’ autumn international opener against Argentina.

He then suffered a head blow against Sale at the start of January, which kept him out of action for two weeks as he was pulled from Lam’s starting line-up to face the Bulls in South Africa.

Despite this, however, he has featured in 13 games for Bristol in all competitions so far this season, scoring six tries.

Rees-Zammit’s absence will be felt as the Bears take on his former side, Gloucester, with Lam admitting his side are now in must-win territory if they are to make the play-offs.

“We have to win if we have any hope of getting to that top four,” said the Bristol boss. “There’s already a seven-point gap, and everyone plays everyone, but you can’t afford to drop any more games. We’ve only got ourselves to blame for that.”

“The season is like life – you get lots of ups and downs – it’s how you adapt and grow from that,” he added. “We know certainly the game against Gloucester on Friday night is a very important game for us.”

Dragons prop leaves on short-term deal

The Dragons have confirmed that prop Luke Yendle has returned to PREM Rugby side Harlequins on a short-term loan deal.

Yendle joined the English top-flight outfit on another short-term loan earlier this season, making two appearances during their PREM Rugby Cup campaign in February.

Now, the 25-year-old is returning to the Twickenham Stoop ahead of Quins’ clash with Bath at The Rec on Saturday, and will stay in south-west London until the end of the season.

Tighthead Yendle has made 22 appearances for the Dragons since making his debut for the region in 2020, but has featured for them just once this season, starting against Perpignan in the Challenge Cup in December.

A product of Caerphilly RFC, he has also represented Newport and Pontypool in Super Rygbi Cymru and Jersey Reds in the English second-tier.

Yendle was one of four players to join Harlequins on short-term deals in February, with the club also bringing in his Dragons teammate Barny Langton-Cryer alongside Cardiff RFC loosehead Ben Murphy and Connacht back-rower Oisin McCormack.

Confirming the new loan deal on Thursday, the Dragons said in a statement: “Dragons RFC can confirm that prop Luke Yendle has joined Gallagher PREM Rugby side Harlequins on a second short-term loan deal to the London club.

“Everyone at Dragons RFC wishes Luke every success during his spell at Twickenham Stoop.”

Harlequins head coach Jason Gilmore said: “With several of our front row options unavailable we’ve needed to bring back Luke (Yendle) and welcome Andrew (Turner) into the group ahead of this weekend’s fixture against Bath.

“It’s important we have sufficient cover in a critical position, not only to fulfil our fixtures, but so we can train to a standard throughout the week.

“We will have a couple of boys back in the coming weeks, but this is tricky period we need to manage. I know both Luke and Andrew are excited to be in the environment and will be giving their all to the Club in the time they’re with us.”

Tributes planned for late URC boss

Tributes will be paid to late Stormers team manager Christopher ‘Chippie’ Solomon during this weekend’s United Rugby Championship matches, the league has confirmed.

A hugely popular figure in South African rugby, Solomon – who had been in his team manager role for over 20 years – died suddenly last Saturday after reportedly suffering a heart attack.

The 64-year-old had been with the Stormers side the weekend before he died, as they were narrowly beaten 28-27 in Toulon, with his club saying they were “shocked and saddened” by the tragic loss.

Now, the URC has issued a tribute to Solomon and confirmed that “various acts of tribute [are] planned” for this weekend’s round of fixtures.

“This weekend the United Rugby Championship will pay tribute to the memory of Christopher ‘Chippie’ Solomon, the Stormers team manager who passed away suddenly last Saturday,” a league statement read.

“For over two decades at the Stormers, Chippie built a legacy that will stand the test of time. A man passionate about his sport, his city and his duty to support everyone who wore the team’s colours into battle all across the rugby world.

“A husband and father, who fostered incredible relationships with his rugby family, Chippie possessed a warmness and a positive outlook which allowed him to form genuine relationships with colleagues across Super Rugby, URC, the Champions Cup and beyond.”

The statement added: “Professional rugby cannot exist without people of Chippie’s virtues and dedication and we are devastated for the entire Stormers organisation and the communities and fans they represent.

“Our greatest condolences and sympathy go to his wife, Pearl, and his children Nina and Chad. We wish them huge strength to cope with their loss over the coming months and years but hope they will always find consolation in the impact Chippie made on so many people across so many places.

“This weekend the Stormers Faithful and everyone around the United Rugby Championship will have the opportunity to honour Chippie’s memory with various acts of tribute planned across the round.”

Follow all of our channels to ensure you stay up to date with the latest Welsh rugby news. Sign up to our free daily newsletter here and our WhatsApp channel here for all the breaking news.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *