Here are your rugby morning headlines for Tuesday, May 19.
England legend slams call-up as ‘not right’
Former England scrum-half Danny Care says the selection of South Africa-born Benhard Janse van Rensburg in England’s summer training squad “doesn’t sit right” as coach Steve Borthwick comes under fire.
The Bristol Bears centre was included in Borthwick’s 42-man squad ahead of this summer’s Tests after qualifying through World Rugby’s five-year residency rule.
Janse van Rensburg, 29, moved to England in 2021 to join London Irish and will officially become eligible for England on July 8.
The powerful midfielder previously made a brief appearance for South Africa Under-20s in 2016, but was cleared to represent England following an appeal by the Rugby Football Union last year.
Win free tickets to watch Fiji v Wales in Cardiff this summer
Speaking on the BBC’s Rugby Union Weekly podcast, Care questioned whether the selection was fair on English-born players such as Max Ojomoh and Ollie Lawrence.
The news has also sparked a negative reaction from the English media with the Telegraph saying van Rensburg is “as English as biltong” and the Times claiming Borthwick is now targeting players who play in England over actual English players, such as Jack Willis, who are ineligible because they play in France.
“It doesn’t sit right with me to take away the opportunity for Max Ojomoh or Ollie Lawrence,” Care said.
“Whether they don’t like those players personality-wise or on the technical side, they are two young English lads who have dreamt of playing for England.
“I know Janse van Rensburg has been over here five years and qualifies on residency, but I think playing international rugby has to be more exclusive than that.”
England believe Janse van Rensburg could help fill the void left by Manu Tuilagi, with Borthwick’s side searching for a powerful ball-carrying centre option.
Care admitted he understood the rugby reasons behind the selection, but still felt uncomfortable with the principle of it.
“If you’re Steve Borthwick and you haven’t got the centres nailed down, I can see it,” he added.
“I think he is a great player and has done some great things in the league over the years, but do I think he could be the difference for England winning the World Cup next year? Unfortunately, I don’t.
“I am not trying to be mean or xenophobic in any way but it doesn’t sit right with me.”
Care also questioned how much representing England would mean to the Bristol midfielder compared to players who had grown up dreaming of wearing the shirt.
“He played for South Africa Under-20s and his dream was to play for the Springboks but because he’s qualified over here he’s now, ‘Yeah, I’ll play for England’.
“I feel it would mean more to Ojomoh or Lawrence to wear that shirt and represent that country than it would for Janse van Rensburg to represent a country he’s only played in for a few years.”
Janse van Rensburg will not be eligible for England’s opening summer Test against South Africa on July 4, but could feature against Fiji and Argentina later in the month.
Wales Rugby VIP hospitality tickets
Seat Unique offers VIP hospitality tickets for Wales’ autumn internationals including New Zealand and Australia.
No charge in vile spitting allegation
The United Rugby Championship (URC) has confirmed that no further action will be taken regarding the sickening spitting allegation that arose during Munster’s 24-17 win over the Lions on Saturday.
Munster hooker Diarmuid Barron had alleged that Lions player Sibabalwe Mahashe spat directly into his mouth during a ruck, which halted the game as officials waited for a TMO verdict.
Post-match, the Citing Commissioner, Eugene Ryan (IRFU), examined all available camera angles and concluded that the video footage was inconclusive, showing no “clear and obvious unsportsmanlike conduct” by the Lions No. 6. While Barron’s audio statement was clear in his accusation, Mahashe contradicted this, stating he had trouble with his gum shield after making upright contact before the ruck and categorically denied spitting.
Because the video evidence was inconclusive, the URC determined that no citing was feasible in this case.
Munster head coach Clayton McMillan supported his player, saying Barron had been around a long time and his integrity was not in question.
Former referee Owen Doyle believes the act of spitting is one of the worst things a player can do, writing in his Irish Times column: “Spitting, of course, does not occur often and is not as painful as other forms of horrible foul play, such as biting or eye gouging. But it has exactly the same effect. It brings the game into total disrepute, tossing the sport into the nearest available sewer.”
Welsh rugby’s breakout star scoops two awards
Fletcher Anderson capped a remarkable debut season in Welsh rugby by scooping two major prizes at Scarlets’ end-of-season awards night.
The New Zealand back-rower was named both the Players’ Player of the Season and the Supporters’ Player of the Season during Sunday evening’s presentation dinner at Parc y Scarlets.
Anderson, who only arrived in Llanelli in November, has enjoyed a sensational first campaign in the URC and quickly established himself as one of the signings of the season in Welsh rugby.
The powerful back-rower played every match bar one during the campaign and finished among the URC’s top five players for carries, defenders beaten and tackles made.
He comfortably won the supporters’ vote with 60 per cent of ballots cast, seeing off competition from Eddie James, Ellis Mee and Ryan Elias.
The awards cap another huge few weeks for the 23-year-old after he recently committed his long-term future to the Scarlets despite attracting interest from clubs across England, France and the URC.
Anderson has also previously spoken openly about his ambition to one day represent Wales on residency grounds.
After signing a new contract in west Wales earlier this year, the Kiwi admitted international rugby with Wales was “definitely something” he had thought about.
“You want to play international rugby, no matter where you are, because it’s the pinnacle of the sport,” Anderson previously said.
“That’s something that will motivate me for the next few years, the potential to do that.”
Elsewhere at the awards evening, Wales hooker Ryan Elias picked up the Coaches’ Player of the Season award after an impressive campaign following his return from a bicep injury.
Elias forced his way back into the Wales setup during the 2026 Six Nations after starring for the Scarlets during the second half of the season.
Meanwhile, Ellis Mee’s dramatic late winner against Ulster Rugby in January was voted Try of the Season by supporters.
Young prop Josh Morse collected the Breakthrough Player award after emerging as one of the most exciting young front-row prospects in Welsh rugby following his recovery from a serious knee injury.
Two academy honours were also handed out on the night.
Full-back Jac Davies was named Senior Academy Player of the Season after impressing in the Investec Champions Cup against Bristol Bears, Union Bordeaux Bègles and Northampton Saints.
Centre Gabe McDonald received the Academy Man of Steel award after making his URC debut in the victory over Glasgow Warriors.
Last dual-England international dies
Mike Smith, the last man to represent England at both rugby union and cricket, has died at the age of 92.
Known widely by his initials “MJK”, Smith enjoyed distinguished careers in both sports and remains a unique figure in English sporting history.
Born in Leicestershire, Smith played rugby union as a fly-half for University of Oxford, Hinckley and Leicester Tigers before winning a solitary England cap against Wales at Twickenham in January 1956.
He lined up alongside legendary scrum-half Dickie Jeeps in an England side beaten 8-3 by Wales.
Smith later admitted he endured a difficult afternoon after a charged-down drop-goal attempt led to the decisive Welsh score.
Reflecting on the match years later in his biography The Last Corinthian: The Cricketing Life of MJK Smith, he said: “It was fair enough. I had a bad game.”
He was replaced for England’s next fixture against Ireland and never won another rugby cap, eventually stepping away from the sport entirely in 1960.
While his rugby career proved brief, Smith became far better known for his achievements in cricket.
A right-handed batter, he played for Oxford University, Leicestershire County Cricket Club and Warwickshire County Cricket Club, going on to enjoy a 14-year Test career with England cricket team.
Across 50 Test matches, Smith scored 2,278 runs, while his first-class career yielded an astonishing 39,832 runs in 637 matches.
He still holds Warwickshire’s record for the most runs scored in a single season after amassing 2,417 in 1959.
Smith also served Warwickshire as chairman and later became an ICC match referee following his playing career.
His sporting legacy extended through his family too. His son Neil represented England in one-day international cricket, while his daughter Carole married Olympic legend Sebastian Coe.
Follow all of our channels to ensure you stay up to date with the latest Welsh rugby news. Sign up to our free daily newsletter here and our WhatsApp channel here for all the breaking news.
