Posted in

Serena Williams’ ex coach reacts as Carlos Alcaraz pulls out of Wimbledon with injury

Serena Williams’ ex coach reacts as Carlos Alcaraz pulls out of Wimbledon with injury
Add as preferred source on Google

Carlos Alcaraz will not compete at the 2026 Wimbledon Championships.

Alcaraz, a two-time champion at the major event, announced his withdrawal from all grass-court activity on Tuesday afternoon.

The 22-year-old Spaniard suffered a troublesome wrist injury at the start of April, and has been absent from the ATP Tour ever since.

Is it time to start panicking about Carlos Alcaraz?

He’s out of another Grand Slam…

“My recovery is going well and I feel much better,” Alcaraz said on his social media accounts. “But unfortunately I’m still not ready to be able to play, and that’s why I have to withdraw from the grass-court swing at Queen’s and Wimbledon.”

Rick Macci, the former coach of the Williams sisters, has issued his reaction to the news of Alcaraz’s latest tournament withdrawal.

Rick Macci praises Carlos Alcaraz’s ‘smart’ move

Macci, an individual credited with the early tennis development of Serena and Venus Williams, is one of the most well-recognised figures in tennis history.

Professional tennis coach Rick Macci is interviewed by segment anchors Trace Gallagher and Dana Perino at Fox News' "America's Newsroom" at FOX Studios on August 29, 2022 in New York City.
Photo by John Lamparski/Getty Images

The respected coaching figure, who has also worked with Andy Roddick and Maria Sharapova, has weighed in on Carlos Alcaraz’s decision to forego the entirety of the grass-court swing.

“The decisions coming out of Camp Carlos are beyond smart and thoughtful,” the American said on social media channel X.

“This is a journey a marathon and a career.

“The wrist is a slippery slope, especially in a high octane explosive unicorn that fires at the end of the kinetic chain like a loose rope.

“The Spanish magician will come back stronger so he can chase history and last longer.”

Macci is absolutely correct in his assessment of Alcaraz’s decision.

Carlos Alcaraz of Spain (C) reacts after a point while watching his brother, Jaime Alcaraz, compete against Poi Mas Tabuena of Spain during the Mutua Madrid Open Sub-16 event
Photo by Alberto Gardin/Eurasia Sport Images/Getty Images

Alcaraz has made a sensible choice in delaying his return, taking precisely zero risks with such a sensitive area of the human body.

For this, Alcaraz must be commended. Many before him have made the mistake of rushing their recovery from injury.

Alcaraz has so far avoided making that rash decision, instead demonstrating a sensible outlook with regard to his physical plight.

Carlos Alcaraz’s 2026 campaign

When could Carlos Alcaraz make his return to the ATP Tour?

With Alcaraz skipping the grass-court swing, Alcaraz could make his return at one of three ATP 250 events, all of which take place from the week starting July 13.

However, one would expect Alcaraz to forego these events and instead return for either the Washington Open or Canadian Open.

Can anyone now stop Jannik Sinner from winning Roland Garros after Carlos Alcaraz’s withdrawal?

If yes, who?

2025 French Open - Day Fifteen
Photo by Andy Cheung/Getty Images

As Alcaraz has never competed in the Washington Open, one would expect the Spaniard to make his return to the Tour in Canada.

Alcaraz has only competed in the event twice during his career.

In 2022, Alcaraz made his tournament debut. The Spaniard was defeated in his opening match by Tommy Paul.

A year later, Alcaraz defeated Ben Shelton and Hubert Hurkacz before losing to Tommy Paul once again.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *