Former Wallabies star Digby Ioane has been denied bail after appearing in court on charges of allegedly making death threats.
The 40-year-old faced Brisbane Magistrates Court via video link on Wednesday.
He has been charged with one count each of making threats and unlawful stalking, intimidation, or harassment involving threats of violence.
Police allege Ioane threatened to kill a man on multiple occasions across a five-day period in April.
Ioane represented himself during the proceedings, and told the court the alleged victim was involved in a ‘massive deal’ between Samoa and Israel.
He told the court his mother owned significant land in Samoa and described her as the ‘rightful queen of Samoa’.
Digby Ioane (pictured playing for the Wallabies) has been charged with allegedly making death threats to another man
The 40-year-old (pictured with his mother) was denied bail when he fronted court in Queensland on Wednesday
Ioane (pictured running the ball in a 2017 Super Rugby match) was a key figure in the Wallabies team for several years
‘I’m just protecting her lands,’ Ioane told the court.
Magistrate Anne Thacker raised concerns about Ioane’s mental health following his statements in court.
‘It does seem to me on reading the police allegations against him that there’s a danger if he were to be released from custody, there’s a danger that he won’t behave appropriately with this person who’s alleged to be the victim,’ the magistrate said.
The court also heard Ioane has a minor criminal history and had been hospitalised for undisclosed reasons just prior to the hearing.
Magistrate Thacker pointed to what she described as a persistent ‘obsession’ with the complainant when refusing bail.
‘Until some better information about you is discovered and/or you are on medication, you are an unacceptable risk of reoffending,’ she told Ioane.
Ioane was remanded in custody and the matter was adjourned until June.
His brother Ioane Sagaga told the court the ex-rugby star had been struggling with his mental health.
