Posted in

Matthew Stafford agrees to one-year extension with LA Rams

Matthew Stafford agrees to one-year extension with LA Rams

The NFL league MVP Matthew Stafford and the
Los Angeles Rams
agreed to a one-year, $55 million extension on Thursday.

 

The extension can rise to as much as $60 million, including incentives. The extension ties Stafford to the Rams for the next two years and gives him up to $105 million remaining on his contract.

Stafford’s extension gives the Rams more flexibility surrounding his future, something that has been brought up increasingly over the offseason, especially considering the Rams selected quarterback
Ty Simpson
with their first-round selection.

The Rams informed Stafford of their draft plans, and head coach Sean McVay reassured fans Stafford would be QB1 going forward.

“Let’s make one thing clear, this is Matthew’s team,”
McVay said
in a presser following the NFL Draft.

 

McVay spoke more on Simpson and Stafford in an
interview with the podcast Bussin’ with the Boys
on Tuesday.

“We have to plan for the short and the long term and what does that look like? Let’s go it right now but let’s also be able to sustain over a long period of time,” McVay said. “We’ve got the reigning MVP of the league. (Stafford) is like a fine wine, he’s getting better with age. My relationship with him is special. There’s a connection. I think our personalities really balance each other out. It’s a really cool thing that we have and I don’t take that for granted. But he’s earned the right to walk away whenever he wants to.”

While accepting his NFL MVP award in February, Stafford confirmed that he would be returning for his 18th year in the league and sixth year with the Rams.

Stafford had his best season yet last year at age 37, throwing for 4,707 yards and a career-high 46 touchdowns, with only eight interceptions.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *