Posted in

Arnold Barboza Jr. vs Kenneth Sims Jr. Set for March 14 on DAZNArnold Barboza Jr. vs. Kenneth Sims Jr. Headlines March 14 DAZN Card in Anaheim

Arnold Barboza Jr. vs Kenneth Sims Jr. Set for March 14 on DAZNArnold Barboza Jr. vs. Kenneth Sims Jr. Headlines March 14 DAZN Card in Anaheim

ANAHEIM, Calif. — Southern California pride meets Chicago grit when former interim champion Arnold Barboza Jr. (32-1, 11 KOs) faces Kenneth Sims Jr. (22-2-1, 8 KOs) in a 12-round welterweight showdown live worldwide on DAZN.

The bout takes place Saturday, March 14, at the Honda Center in Anaheim and is presented in association with Cancun Boxing.

With both fighters stepping into the 147-pound division, redemption and opportunity are on the line in a wide-open welterweight landscape.

Tickets go on sale Wednesday, Feb. 18 at 10:00 a.m. PT, priced at $100, $75, $50 and $25, plus applicable fees. A limited number of Golden Boy VIP Experience packages will also be available. Tickets can be purchased at Ticketmaster.com or GoldenBoy.com.

Barboza: “This Is the Redemption Tour”

Barboza Jr. returns after suffering the first loss of his professional career in May against Teofimo Lopez in New York City. Now 43 fights into his career and entering a new weight class, the California native is motivated by something bigger than revenge.

“I’m officially stepping back into the ring after some much needed time off,” said Arnold Barboza Jr. “My first loss didn’t break me, it built me. Built a new team, new gym, new mindset yet still same purpose, same hunger, same goals. I heard the doubters get louder. I saw some opinions change yet nothing about me changed. This is bigger than revenge. This is the Redemption Tour.”

Prior to facing Lopez, Barboza captured the WBO Interim Super Lightweight Title with a split decision victory over Jack Catterall in Manchester. Over the years, he has compiled wins over Alex Saucedo, Mike Alvarado, Jose Pedraza and Jose Ramirez, establishing himself as one of boxing’s most disciplined technicians.

Now he aims to make an immediate statement at welterweight.

Sims Jr.: “This Is a Do or Die Fight”

Chicago’s Sims Jr. sees this fight as the opportunity he has long pursued.

“This is a fight that I’ve been wanting for a long time. Barboza is a good fighter who’s been on the big stage, but I’ve always known that I am a better fighter than him and only wanted the chance to prove it,” said Kenneth Sims Jr. “I’ve been chasing this opportunity for years now and this is a great time for it to finally happen. This is a do or die fight for both of us, and I can’t wait to get in there and handle business on March 14.”

Sims Jr. most recently headlined a WBA title eliminator against Oscar Duarte in Chicago, losing a competitive majority decision. Despite the setback, his performance elevated his standing in the division.

A nine-time national amateur champion and former Team USA standout, Sims has built a strong professional resume since turning pro in 2014, including a breakout win over previously undefeated Elvis Rodriguez.

Oscar De La Hoya on the Matchup

Golden Boy Chairman and CEO Oscar De La Hoya praised the fight’s competitive nature.

“I love this fight because neither guy is afraid of the other. Arnold Barboza Jr. and Kenneth Sims Jr. have worked their entire careers to become the best and on March 14 somebody takes a major step toward the top of the division,” said De La Hoya. “The undercard will be stacked with talent, with the return of Puerto Rican Unified Champ Oscar Collazo and Undisputed Champ Gabriela Fundora both defending their titles. Fans are getting a complete night of high-level Southern California fights!”

Co-Main Event: Collazo vs. Haro

In the 12-round co-main event, Puerto Rico’s unified minimumweight champion Oscar Collazo (13-0, 10 KOs) defends his WBA, WBO and Ring Magazine titles against Mexico’s Jesus Haro (13-3, 2 KOs).

“I’m very happy to be returning to the ring this coming March 14th. Unfortunately, we won’t be pursuing a unification bout for reasons beyond my control,” said Collazo. “The company presented us with this opportunity with Jesús Haro. I respect him because I know he comes with the desire and hunger to be champion, but on March 14th he’ll be facing the best in the division. Without a doubt, Puerto Rico vs. Mexico is a guaranteed war. We’re ready to put on a great fight and secure a solid victory for Puerto Rico.”

Haro added: “It’s going to be a great fight. The Mexico-Puerto Rico rivalry has always been present in this sport, and although I was born in the USA and I love this country, Aztec warrior blood runs through my veins, and I’m not going to let my Mexican people down.”

Fundora Defends Undisputed Crown

In another title bout, undisputed flyweight champion Gabriela Fundora (17-0, 9 KOs) defends against WBA Interim champion Viviana Ruiz Corredor (10-2, 5 KOs).

“There are only two ways of doing something, the right way or the wrong way,” said Fundora. “We are preparing to put on a great performance on March 14th at the Honda Center in Anaheim, California. Save the date to watch on DAZN!”

Ruiz added: “This opportunity to compete for the undisputed world title is an absolute dream come true for me. It represents everything we work toward from the moment we decide to become professional fighters, and I am incredibly grateful for the chance to perform on the biggest stage. We’re coming to America to steal the show. I understand the challenge in front of me, I’ve done the work, and I’m ready. I’m excited for March 14th, and I can’t wait to be crowned the new undisputed world champion.”

More undercard announcements are expected soon.


Discover more from FightBook MMA

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *