Posted in

Backstage Update If Chris Jericho Is Behind WWE Raw Mystery Box

Backstage Update If Chris Jericho Is Behind WWE Raw Mystery Box

The internet ran wild Monday night when a giant mystery box appeared on WWE Raw with a bold warningreading “Do Not Open Until 2-28.” Almost instantly, fans began speculating that Chris Jericho could be inside — teasing a surprise WWE return.

But according to Fightful Select, that theory doesn’t hold up. Asof now, Jericho is not behind the mystery box — and more importantly, he remains firmly under contract with AEW.

The outlet has repeatedly checked with sources inside All Elite Wrestling regarding Jericho’s status, especially after confusion earlier this year about his contract potentially expiring at the end of 2025. That speculation fueled Royal Rumble rumors and now this Raw mystery angle. However, Jericho is still officially listed on AEW’s roster page — a key indicator of active contractual status.

It was also noted that there have been rare exceptions in the past, such as Powerhouse Hobbs being removed after his final appearance, but no such move has happened with Jericho. Additionally, no internal departure memo has been circulated within AEW — something that is typically standard procedure when talent exits the company.

Fightful Select’s Sean Ross Sapp reports that the belief among those close to Jericho and within AEW is that his contract was likely frozen when he took time off in 2025. Without seeing the contract directly, several factors could have extended the deal. In the report, it was explained:

“Chris Jericho is firmly under contract to AEW, and Fightful Select’s Sean Ross Sapp is told the belief from those around Jericho and in AEW is that his deal was frozen after he took time off in 2025.”

The report further clarifies that contract freezes, minor injury time, or even short extensions have happened before in AEW. Talent such as Matt Hardy have reportedly had deals extended by small increments in the past.

There’s also no indication from AEW officials that Jericho has departed. Direct inquiries made to the company did not receive the type of confirmation response that typically follows a talent’s exit.

Another interesting wrinkle: AEW talent are usually included in the Jericho Cruise lineup. As of now, AEW wrestlers are not planned for the November cruise — though that alone is not confirmation of any departure. Jericho is also said to be actively accepting convention bookings in the coming months.

While sources close to Jericho have remained tight-lipped about his long-term plans, Fightful reports he has privately indicated he would be open to a WWE return at some point. However, there is concern that returning to WWE could require him to scale back or give up some of his outside projects.

As it stands, there is no confirmed expiration date for Jericho’s AEW deal. So despite the Raw mystery box sparking fantasy booking scenarios across social media, the reality remains unchanged — Chris Jericho is still under AEW contract, and there is no current indication that he is WWE-bound.

Do you think WWE is teasing someone else entirely, or is this Jericho speculation going to keep building until February 28? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *