Chris Wright to make a comeback after 9-month ban on anti doping

Leicestershire veteran bowler Chris Wright has confirmed he has served a nine-month ban for an anti-doping offence after testing positive for a trace amount of a banned substance. Chris Wright is to make a comeback after 9-month ban on anti-doping offence.

Wright has not played a full season for Leicestershire despite signing a new contract with the club last year following his move to Sussex. His absence was said to be due to a failed drugs test and the 38-year-old has now released a statement through the Professional Cricketers’ Association (PCA) admitting he “secured an adverse result in October”.

Wright did not directly consume any banned products

The Cricket Regulator and the Anti Doping Agency have confirmed Chris Wright’s innocence in the matter. The player did get banned for 9 months as he had traces of banned chemicals in his body. However, it has been made clear that the veteran bowler did not voluntarily consume any such products.

According to official confirmations, Wright did not knowingly take the substance Ostarine. Ostarine is actually not even a performance enhancer and came from a contaminated food supplement. Wright could not deny his ban as the rules stated him to face penalties. The PCA said it had lobbied the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) to review its stance on traces of banned substances consumed through contamination.

Here’s what Chris Wright said

Chris Wright got banned quite late, due to which his ban will be uplifted on July 19, 2024, in the middle of the county championship.

“I was shocked to find out that I had tested positive for trace amounts of a banned substance on a single occasion back in October 2023,” Wright said.

“I had been using a fruit supplement at the time, purchased from a well-known manufacturer, which had no sports performance-enhancing capability. I disclosed this fully on my doping control form before I provided a sample, as required, that returned the adverse result.” He added.

“I was extremely fortunate that with the help of scientific experts, I was able to identify that the supplement was contaminated with Ostarine, a synthetic substance that ought not be in any food product in the UK, and the Cricket Regulator accepted this. There has been no explanation from the supplement manufacturer as to how that came to be and, as the independent panel’s decision in my case shows, I did not intend to take such substance, nor could I have even known the supplement was contaminated with it.”

“The panel found that I bore no significant fault and I am pleased this matter has been resolved so that I can resume playing soon, after what has been an extremely difficult and trying time for me and my family. I am back in training and looking forward to my full return.”

“I would like to thank the PCA for their support during the period of my suspension as this matter was resolved. Their help, support and guidance has been invaluable. I would also like to thank Leicestershire CCC, in particular Claude Henderson and Alfonso Thomas, for their support during this difficult period. They have been extremely patient and supportive during the whole process and have been keen to get me back playing as soon as possible. Lastly, I want to thank my family. Their love and positivity has helped me immensely during what has also been a really challenging time for them. I will always be grateful.” He ended his statement.

Wright is currently undergoing training as he will play his first match after the ban gets over.

Stay updated with all the cricketing action, follow Cricadium on WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, Telegram and Instagram

0 Shares:
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like
Read More

A Cricket Clash To Remember

Well, the cricketing world had its antennas poised towards the much-anticipated India Vs Bangladesh today and what an…