Posted in

Conor Benn reacts to becoming WBC number one contender

Conor Benn reacts to becoming WBC number one contender

Conor Benn has vowed to become Britain’s latest world champion after being placed in line for a maiden title shot.

Benn, coming off a career-best win over Chris Eubank Jr last month, became the number one contender to Mario Barrios’ WBC welterweight world title at the WBC’s convention in Thailand on Tuesday.

‘The Destroyer’ hasn’t campaigned at 147lbs in over three years, with his two battles against Eubank Jr taking place at middleweight.

However, Benn maintained his desire to return to welterweight in a bid to win the WBC title his father and former two-weight world champion, Nigel Benn once held.

Barrios, who retained his crown after a contentious draw with Manny Pacquiao in July, is expected to first defend his belt against Ryan Garcia in February and Benn admits he’ll be keeping a close eye on the clash.

Barrios holds the WBC welterweight world title Photo Credit: Esther Lin/Premier Boxing Champions

“Just got the news that I’ve been made number one in the WBC rankings,” the 29-year-old said in a video posted on social media.

“Mandatory for the WBC world title.

“I’ll be watching Barrios vs Garcia closely.

Pacquiao drew with Barrios in July Photo Credit: Esther Lin/Premier Boxing Champions
Pacquiao drew with Barrios in July Photo Credit: Esther Lin/Premier Boxing Champions

“I want the winner early next year.

“Q1 god willing that WBC world title is mine.

“I’ll be coming for that belt and Britain will have a new world champion.”

Garcia is expected to face Barrios in February Photo Credit: Cris Equeda/Golden Boy
Garcia is expected to face Barrios in February Photo Credit: Cris Equeda/Golden Boy

Benn was ringside in Riyadh last month to scout now-WBO welterweight titlist, Devin Haney who ripped the title away from Brian Norman Jr.

The Essex man was pictured asleep on Eddie Hearn’s shoulder during the fight and Benn’s promoter says a Garcia-Benn fight could land on Cinco De Mayo, if the Californian overcomes Barrios.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by PRO BOXING FANS (@proboxingfans)

“What I look at as an exciting fight is Conor Benn against Ryan Garcia,” Hearn told Boxing News.

“And Turki Alalshikh said on Saturday that could be a potential fight for Cinco De Mayo.

“That’s a massive fight for the WBC world title.”

The post Conor Benn reacts to becoming WBC number one contender appeared first on ProBoxing-Fans.com.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *