Posted in

Eddie Hearn points blame on himself for Conor Benn exit

Eddie Hearn points blame on himself for Conor Benn exit

Eddie Hearn says he “misjudged” Conor Benn’s character after his prized asset dramatically walked out of Matchroom to join Dana White’s Zuffa Boxing.

Hearn had promoted Benn since his professional debut in 2016, but in a bombshell move on Friday, the 29-year-old announced a deal with Hearn’s bitter rival, White.

The Matchroom chairman fiercely defended the welterweight star following his two failed drug tests which cancelled a scheduled clash with Chris Eubank Jr in October 2022.

Benn twice tested positive for the banned substance Clomiphene, but was later cleared of any wrongdoing.

‘The Destroyer’ landed two hugely lucrative showdowns with Eubank Jr last year, gaining revenge over the Brighton man in November following a first professional defeat to him in April.

Benn signed with Zuffa Boxing

Hearn has pinned the blame on himself for not tying down the Essex man to a long-term contract.

“Me personally [I’m] pretty devastated,” the 46-year-old told IFLTV.

“I blame myself, because I forgot it was boxing.

“I just felt that the loyalty that we’ve shown would never ever put us in this position.

 

“I just felt that I never really needed to push Conor Benn to sign a new contract previously.

“I made a mistake, because I misjudged the character.”

Benn’s deal with Zuffa is reportedly for one-fight and worth eight figures, according to Chris Mannix.

The 29-year-old claimed that he’d still be willing to work alongside Hearn, despite signing with his biggest competitor.

“First and foremost, I want to thank Eddie and the entire team at Matchroom for everything they’ve done for me over the past decade,” he said in a statement.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by PRO BOXING FANS (@proboxingfans)

“From guiding me when I first turned pro, to headlining stadium shows. 

“They were not only with me for those highlight moments but stood shoulder to shoulder with me during the tough times.

“It’s been a journey beyond anything we could have imagined, and for their belief, support, and guidance, I will always be truly grateful, but Zuffa Boxing presented me with an opportunity I simply couldn’t refuse. 

“I’d love Eddie to continue to be part of my team and for our partnership to evolve in this new chapter.

“I’m filled with excitement and hunger for what’s ahead with Zuffa Boxing.

Hearn promoted Benn from his professional debut Photo Credit: Mark Robinson Matchroom Boxing
Hearn promoted Benn from his professional debut Photo Credit: Mark Robinson Matchroom Boxing

“I want the legacy fights, the biggest nights, the biggest stages. 

“I fear no man at any weight, and I’m ready to give the fans the fights they’ve been calling for. 

“I’m in my prime, and together we have bold, ambitious plans.”

Benn has trained with Tony Sims for the entirety of his professional career at the Matchroom Gym, but has spent the past few weeks training in Los Angeles.

Sims did not return messages left by proboxing-fans.com asking whether he would still continue to train Benn.

The post Eddie Hearn points blame on himself for Conor Benn exit appeared first on ProBoxing-Fans.com.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *