The latest rugby news and headlines from Wales and beyond
Here are your rugby evening headlines for Saturday, May 23.
Lions star fires warning to Welsh club
Former Newport and Wales wing Gareth Evans has questioned what the Dragons’ signing of Super Rugby scrum-half Ere Enari will mean for some of the club’s young Welsh nines.
The Men of Gwent announced the signing of Samoa scrum-half Enari from the Hurricanes earlier this week as they look to build on a promising campaign.
Enari, who has also played for New Zealand U20s, Crusaders and Moana Pasifika, will be battling with Che Hope and Rhodri Williams for the starting spot at Rodney Parade.
JOIN OUR WALES RUGBY FACEBOOK PAGE Latest news, analysis and much more
However, Evans has questioned what the move will mean for young Dragons half-back Morgan Lloyd.
“Drags signing a scrum half from NZ will be disappointing for Morgan Lloyd, a fine, local player,” posted Evans on social media.
When an X user replied that the Dragons were bringing in Enari to help develop young Welsh talent, Evans – who won three caps for Wales and a further three caps for the British and Irish Lions on the tour of New Zealand in 1977 – said: “Are you thinking that Lloyd is going to get plenty of game time then? Because that’s what he’ll be wondering. Guaranteed.”
“They’ve strengthened the pecking order above him. I’m thinking from a players perspective.”
Scottish rugby plunged into leadership crisis
Scottish Rugby has been plunged into a leadership crisis after the governing body confirmed chief executive Alex Williamson has taken a period of extended leave.
Williamson was appointed in September 2024 with a mission to address significant financial losses.
However, reports in Scotland say he has been instructed to take time off work, with no explanation given.
Williamson’s duties have been taken up by other members within the organisation.
A spokesman for Scottish Rugby said: “Our chief executive Alex Williamson is currently on a period of extended leave, during which time his duties are being shared by the executive team.”
His absence comes at a time when the organisation is attempting to build on the success of the men’s national team, which finished third in this year’s Six Nations Championship with victories over England, Wales and France.
Bordeaux-Begles retain Champions Cup after Leinster hammering
Bordeaux-Begles retained their Champions Cup crown with a dominant 41-19 victory over Leinster in Bilbao.
The Irish province have not won European rugby’s premier competition since the last time it was held at San Mames Stadium in Spain, back in 2018. Since then, the Dublin outfit had lost four out of the last seven finals.
However, any hopes of ending that wait for a fifth title were blown away by the French club.
Leinster had opened the scoring through Tommy O’Brien after six minutes, but that was about as good as it got for the URC club.
France scrum-half Maxime Lucu crossed for Bordeaux’s first, before Pablo Uberti put the French side ahead.
Louis Bielle-Biarrey lived up to his tag as the world’s best finisher, crossing for two first-half scores to firmly put the defending champions in charge – with the second in particular a brilliant score off the back of good work by Damian Penaud.
Bordeaux then crossed for their fifth just before half-time when Yoram Moefana picked off a pass in his own half to race away.
Leinster threatened a comeback briefly in the second-half, with second-row Joe McCarthy diving over while Lucu was in the bin.
However, the scrum-half returned to knock over two penalties to make the result safe.
Garry Ringrose crossed for a late score shortly before Ugo Boniface was shown a yellow card, but it mattered little as Bordeaux eased to their second Champions Cup in as many years – having lifted the trophy for the first time in Cardiff last year.
England star still needs to prove himself despite European success
England No. 8 Billy Vunipola says he still needs to prove himself at Montpellier despite playing a starring role in their Challenge Cup triumph on Friday night.
The 33-year-old barged over for a first-half try and set up a second as Montpellier hammered Ulster in Bilbao, keeping up their hopes of a domestic and European double.
“If I say that (I’ve proved myself), I’ll get too comfortable,” the 33-year-old told Premier Sports. “I’ll stay humble, we’ll have a good night, and we’ve got a big game in the Top 14 next weekend as well.
Wales Rugby VIP hospitality tickets

Seat Unique offers VIP hospitality tickets for Wales’ autumn internationals including New Zealand and Australia.
“It’s the sun in Montpellier – honestly it’s given me a new lease of life.
“And the challenge to try and help this team win things and do better than they did two years ago. It’s been a great challenge. I’ve enjoyed it.
“The recruitment has been really good in terms of bringing up the young boys and my role is just trying to set a good example.
“I don’t always do it – my wife will attest to that – but I try my best, man, I try my best.”
Follow all of our channels to ensure you stay up to date with the latest Welsh rugby news. Sign up to our free daily newsletter here and our WhatsApp channel here for all the breaking news.
