Posted in

Today’s rugby news as overlooked star ‘hungry’ for Wales shot and England man banned

Today’s rugby news as overlooked star ‘hungry’ for Wales shot and England man banned

Here are your rugby morning headlines for Friday, May 22.

Winnett wants Wales recall

Cam Winnett says he’s “hungry” to get back into the Wales set-up after a rollercoaster few years.

Winnett, still just 23, was fast tracked into the Wales squad for the 2024 Six Nations by Warren Gatland, who also selected him for the summer and autumn campaigns.

But since then he has featured on the international stage and hasn’t been selected by Steve Tandy to date.

The Cardiff full-back has a play-off quarter-final to look forward to with the Blue & Blacks next week and although he says all focus remains on his club form, his Wales ambitions still burn bright.

“I guess I have experienced so much in terms of getting into the Wales team, getting dropped, injuries and I am only 23,” he said.

“I have taken it all in my stride and I think I will be a better player for it.

“I am obviously still young, still developing, still learning, but I definitely think I have matured.

“It all happened so fast with Wales. It was a big jump. I tried to take it with both hands and I loved my time playing up there.

“Obviously, there was always going to be a drop off in the way I was going.

“I am still hungry to get back in there with Wales. That’s what I want to push for.

“I am going to keep knocking at the door, but Cardiff comes first. That’s where my head is at. I want to help the team as much as I can.”

JOIN OUR WALES RUGBY FACEBOOK PAGE Latest news, analysis and much more

Best young rugby player in Europe named

France sensation Joachim Senga Kouo has been named the 2026 U20 Six Nations Player of the Championship after starring in his country’s title-winning campaign.

The electric winger played a key role as France under-20s secured back-to-back U20 Six Nations crowns, scoring tries against three different nations during the tournament.

Senga Kouo, who plays his club rugby for RC Vannes, earned widespread praise for his explosive pace, power and finishing ability throughout the Championship and is already being tipped as one of the brightest young talents in European rugby.

The award continues France’s recent dominance at age-grade level, with Senga Kouo following compatriot Lyam Akrab in winning the honour.

The U20 Six Nations has become renowned for producing future stars of the international game, with players such as Antoine Dupont, Louis Bielle-Biarrey and Oscar Jégou all emerging through the competition in recent years.

England flanker Henry Pollock, who won the award in 2024, has since enjoyed a rapid rise in the senior game.

Reacting to his award, Senga Kouo said: “I’m very happy to have been named the best player of the U20 Tournament.

“After this incredible Grand Slam victory with my team-mates, it’s an honour for me to win this trophy, even though team trophies are always more important than individual awards.”

The winger’s rise has continued since the tournament ended, with Senga Kouo making his senior debut for Vannes and scoring a hat-trick to help his side claim victory.

Interest in the U20 Six Nations also continues to grow rapidly, with organisers revealing more than 4.5 million viewers followed the tournament through television broadcasts in 2026.

Crowds exceeded 100,000 across the Championship, with attendance records broken in England, France and Scotland.

France’s clash with England under-20s in La Rochelle drew a record crowd of 15,730, while sell-out fixtures were also recorded in Edinburgh and Cork.

England star banned after dangerous tackle

Tom Dunn has been handed a suspension following his red card for a dangerous tackle during Bath Rugby’s Gallagher PREM clash with Newcastle Falcons.

The experienced hooker appeared before an independent disciplinary panel after being sent off under World Rugby Law 9.13.

The hearing was chaired by Matthew Weaver KC alongside panel members Mick McArdle and Vicky Irwin.

Dunn accepted the charge and was given a three-match suspension, although that could be reduced to two games if he successfully completes the World Rugby Coaching Intervention Programme.

The ban means the 33-year-old will definitely miss Bath’s PREM fixtures against Bristol Bears on May 29 and Leicester Tigers on June 6.

A third match could also be included in the suspension if the intervention programme is not completed in time.

The news is a blow for Bath at a crucial stage of the season, with Dunn having remained an influential figure in Johann van Graan’s squad thanks to his experience, physicality and set-piece work.

The front-rower has spent more than a decade with Bath and has become one of the club’s most dependable senior players.

Dunn has also won international honours with England during his career, earning three caps.

England international makes bold claim about under-fire Borthwick

Former Lions star Anthony Watson has backed under-pressure England head coach Steve Borthwick to turn things around after a disastrous Six Nations campaign.

England endured their worst Championship performance since the tournament expanded to six teams in 2000, losing four of their five matches, including a first-ever defeat to Italy.

Heavy defeats to Scotland and Ireland compounded the pressure on Borthwick, despite England having entered the tournament on a 12-match winning run after beating Wales national rugby union team in their opener.

But Watson, who worked under Borthwick with both England and Leicester Tigers, insists the RFU made the right call by keeping faith with the 46-year-old.

“I fully back the decision,” Watson told The Mirror. “Steve is one of the most passionate coaches about English rugby. If he didn’t feel like he was right for the role, he’d be gone, he’s that type of person.

“Having worked with him and knowing him, his attention to detail and his care for that team is unmatched. Therefore, I feel like he is absolutely the right man to lead England forward.”

England now face a daunting run of fixtures as they attempt to halt their slide, beginning with a trip to Ellis Park to face world champions South Africa on July 4 in the inaugural Nations Championship.

Tests against Fiji and Argentina follow before autumn clashes with Australia, Japan and New Zealand.

With the next Rugby World Cup now less than 18 months away, pressure is mounting on England to rediscover consistency and re-establish themselves among the elite nations in world rugby.

However, Watson believes England remain capable of bouncing back despite their recent struggles.

“They’re a top team anyway, to be honest,” the 2019 World Cup finalist added.

“The Six Nations was a bit of a blip, which happens to all sports teams who are vying to be the top dog.

“This summer is going to be big, but we’ve still got a decent while until the World Cup. A year is a long time in sport.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *